Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Duck and Root Vegetables



On tonight's menu, pan-seared duck breast, with roasted root vegetables (pearl onions, carrots, parsnips, turnips, leeks) and apples. Not too many pyrotechnics to this dish: I chopped up the vegetables, cooked them in just a little bit of duck fat -- we have to be somewhat healthy, after all -- and then put that skillet in the oven at 375 for about a half hour. I added the apples to the skillet twenty minutes or so after placing it in the oven. I then seared the duck and put it on top of the still-roasting vegetables until it was medium-rare. Everything was a hit, except maybe the overly bitter turnips, but even they were -- what's the right word? -- entertaining.

Through it all, I had what's quickly become my favorite cocktail, a vodka drink, with two parts lemon juice, one part lime juice, one part agave nectar, and a garnish of fresh ginger. This drink was first introduced to us by Craftbar as a Sunshine Squeeze, which is fine and all, I suppose, but hardly the sort of drink a hockey player, even a twerpy one like myself, would ask for. We're thinking of renaming it: a Hip Check? a Shiner? Ah, but a Texas beer already has that name, alas. Please, suggest away.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com, modified by Chelsea